Students’ comments

Abdulla Ouda

5 January 2017 at 23:06

Computer Science 3307A 2016

Hello Professor,

My name is Abdulla Ouda. I was a student in your Computer Science 3307A course in Fall 2016. I would like to thank you for an enjoyable and interesting class. I have learned a lot from your lectures and assignments. The concepts you taught will help me in the workplace and my future studies.

Abdulla Ouda

Duff Jones <duff.jones@gmail.com>

madhavji

7 December 2016 at 15:15

CS3307

Professor Madhavji:

First off, let me thank you for CS3307; it is clear from your lectures that you are an expert in software engineering with a tonne of experience in the field, and I came back to university after teaching high school for several years in order to be taught by people like you. Thank you for sharing that expertise, and for attempting to make students more engaged through things like "show and tell." I did my first degree at Queen's, so the bagpipes were a nice treat.

Thank you again for the bagpipes (and the cool video game) and also for helping to make C++ my new favourite object-oriented language!

Duff Jones

Kedar Chaudhari

madhavji

6 January 2017 at 09:37

Respected Professor,

I was an exchange student from India, in Western for the Fall term. I enjoyed taking Object-Oriented Design and Analysis course. I am happy that I decided to take this course because the experience of working on a real world project with a real client was simply awesome.  Thank you for helping me and my team-mates when we were facing some issues, your guidance helped us a lot.

Warm Regards,
Kedar Chaudhari

Chao Ban

6 September 2016 at 21:27

Dear Nazim,

….

In a word, it is my great pleasure to be your student in my life. And I had a wonderful study experience in your courses. Thank you sincerely again.

Best wishes.

Chao Ban

Jehad Fares

18 April 2016 at 20:31

Re: cs4471b/cs9549b

Thank you Nazim, it was a fun course!   Keep in touch.

Daniel Allen

18 April 2016 at 19:00

Re: cs4471b/cs9549b

Hi professor,

Excellent!  ….. I just wanted to say I really enjoyed taking your class this semester and I think that the structure of the lectures was suited perfectly for the course. Having participation as a requirement really forced me to think critically about software architecture in ways that I would not have if participation in class discussions was not required. Thanks again and I hope you have a great summer!

Daniel Allen

Chao Ban

18 April 2016 at 08:37

Re: cs4471b/cs9549b

Thank you for your help so much,I really enjoyed the class this term. 😊Hope everything is well with you.

Chao

Jehad Fares

nazim madhavji <madhavji@gmail.com>

31 March 2016 at 15:42

CS4471/9549b: Final Submission

Hi Nazim,

Thanks again for a great course.

…..

Thanks,

Jay

Adam Daniel Fuhrer

nazim madhavji <madhavji@gmail.com>

17 April 2016 at 23:43

Re: cs4471b/cs9549b

Thank you Nazim!

Was a pleasure having you as a professor.

David Newell

nazim madhavji <madhavji@gmail.com>

31 January 2016 at 14:26

subject:

Re: Class today and a meeting

Hello Nazim,

I hope that the new semester is going very well for you so far!

I wanted to share a little bit of my gratitude for the great experiences I had in 3307.  As I apply for internships, the skills and abilities that were fostered through my experience managing Team Cantaloupe - not to mention the wide range of other processes and techniques learned in class - are proving to be incredibly useful.  And it was a very positive experience in general - I gained a lot of confidence in my abilities and strengths, and was left feeling excited about software engineering, and for my future in the field!  I've also quite enjoyed asking questions about software quality processes, metrics, and the capability maturity model with hiring managers / recruiters - it's led to some really valuable insights about the values of the various development teams!

….

Thanks again, and take care,

David Newell

Abraham Farah

24 July 2015 at 14:39

Redo Project Deliverables # 1&2

Dear Prof. Nazim

I hope you are doing well! Attached above is the compressed file in which the redo deliverables are inside. Again i really thank you for this opportunity in letting us redo the work in order to remark our project and final grade. I very much enjoyed the class and have learnt alot throughout this experience. Looking forward to hearing back from you in regards to our final marks in the course.

Regards,

From: kate.zyla1 Date: 27 February 2013 19:42
Subject: Re: from Nazim Madhavji --> architects of 2011 class!
To:

Good to hear that all is not lost!

I'm working at the Ontario Universities' Application Centre now as a programmer/analyst.  I did a 16 month internship there between my 3rd and 4th year, and now I'm back there full time. I'll be getting started on writing yet another requirements document in the next week or two and, lets just say, I reference my notes from Nazim's Requirements Engineering class quite a lot! :)

Best wishes,

Kate

Ilse Leal Aulenbacher

reply-to:

15 February 2013 21:42

Re: Nazim --> Ilse -- a question

Hello dear Nazim! :)
Truly, receiving your mail has made my day :) I am very sorry because I could not say goodbye to you in person before returning to Mexico.

….
I am happy to be back but I honestly miss Canada a lot...

I smile when I remember your courses, such an amazing experience!

…..
How have you been? I miss taking your courses!! :)

Take care :)
I'll get back to you tomorrow

Ilse

Sergio Carlos Morales

17 February 2013 17:15

subject:

Re: from Nazim Madhavji --> architects of 2011 class!

Hello Professor!

I sure remember you as one of my best professors in my international program there in London.

I do have the videos (thank you external hardrives!).

I have uploaded them to this link where you can download them:

I hope you are doing very good yourself and that this videos will help to form some new bright architects.

Greetings!

Sergio Carlos Morales Angeles

Mitra Khatibi

18 January 2013 12:14

Re: Congese Software architecture course - 9549 - final project

Hi Professor Nazim,

Happy new year and hope all is well. sorry for the delay, I've attached the audio files ….

Thanks so much for the one of the best courses we've had here so far, I personally learnt a lot.

Kind Regards,

Mitra Khatibi

Shaikh Quader

21 January 2013 18:33

Re: Enrichment study comments & overall mark

Dear Professor Nazim,

Thank you so much for grading my enrichment study. I will clean it up as you advised and send to you as soon as I can.

Your course has opened a new world to me and has been helping me at work since I took it.

I am fortunate that I was able to take this course from you.

Best regards,
Shaikh

From: anil kumar
Date: 23 November 2012 17:58
Subject: Re: Comments on the directed study
To: nazim madhavji

Dear Prof.,

Thank you for giving me passing grade. Its true moment of  joy for me. Heart-felt appreciations for providing comments on my work. You are the best in taking care of your students.

….
Kind Regards,
Anil.

Ilse Leal Aulenbacher

26 Apr 2012

to me

Dear Professor Nazim:

Thank you very much for your comments. I really appreciate it and for sure I will contact you if I have questions... From the bottom of my heart, thank you so much :) You are not only an excellent prof, you are an amazing person as well :)

Ilse

Ibtehal Noorwali

15:41 (3 minutes ago) 2 May, 2012

to me

Thanks, Prof.! It was a great class. More work together to come! :)

Cheers,

Ibtehal

Ilse Leal Aulenbacher

23 Apr 2012 (2 days ago)

to me

Dear Professor Nazim:

I have enjoyed both Software Architecture and Empirical Studies, I really like how you explain concepts and I also think that you encourage us to think by ourselves and be the best students we can be.

Hope to see you soon,
Ilse :)

Muasaad Alrasheedi

17:29 (8 hours ago)

25 Apr., 2012 to me

Dear Dr. Nazim,

I would like to thank you for this great course “Empirical Research Methods”. I learned a lot from this course and especially from sharing your personal experiences about the field of research.
Attached, please find all assignments.

Muasaad

Fahad Bawakid

18:36 (6 hours ago)

to me

Hello Dr. Nazim,

Thanks a billion for your email, your class was perfect for me in its time and contents (as I'm writing my research proposal now)!

Please find assign. 1 & 2 attached.

Take care,

Fahad

Ilse L. ilse.leal

24 Apr (1 day ago)

to me

24/04/2012

Dear Professor Nazim:

Thank you so much for you feedback, doing this assignment will definitely help me with my thesis. Thank you also for your kind comments and your support. It has been an honour to take your courses, I have learnt so much. You take an interest in your students and you listen to us and help us improve both as persons and as students. Thank you for taking the time to listen to my presentation and for giving me many insightful comments. Thank you for being my professor :)

Hope to see you soon :)

Ilse

Marwan Darwish

15 Apr (10 days ago)

to me

Hello Prof. Nazim,

I would like to thank you for this course “Empirical Research in Software Engineering." I learned a lot during this course, in particular, when sharing your experience with us. Your comments and the discussions during presentations were very helpful to me. I am really looking for an opportunity to take another course with you.

As requested, I attached my 2nd assignment package to this message.

Best Regards,
Marwan Darwish

Abid Rana arana

15 Apr (9 days ago)

to me, Fahad, Marwan, Hamza, Muasaad

Hi Professor Madhavji,

Our Research Proposal is attached with this email.

We would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for teaching us about empirical research and  sharing so much valuable information/personal experiences

about the field of research and we think that what we took away from your course will help us a lot in

carrying out our own research in future.

Regards,

Abid Rana

Fahad Bawakid

Hamza Ghandorh

Marwan Darwish

Muasaad Alrasheedi

CC: Team Members

Ekananta

14 May 2011 22:00

RE: Software Architecture Course Marks

uwo.ca

hide details 22:00 (46 minutes ago)

Thanks Prof. Nazim,

And also want to thank you for all insight that you gave us during the class.

Have a nice and warm summer for you and your family.

Warmest regards,

Ekananta

Kubilay Cavus

Nazim Madhavji

18 April 2011 13:14

Enrichment study

uwo.ca

hide details 13:14 (1 hour ago)

Hello Professor,

Here is my enrichment study. I tried to keep it at the length that you wanted it. I have done a paper on aspect oriented programming and the evolution paradox that it creates. Although I checked the work multiple times I happen to create new defects every time I correct it. It is an endless cycle just like software. I tried to do my best. I hope the work meets your expectations.

I have learned a lot during the lectures and assignments. It is really great to have a Professor who passes down both textbook knowledge and  experience.

It was worth every km I drove from Kitchener.

Have a great summer!

Kubilay Cavus

Ilse Leal Aulenbacher

madhavji

17 April 2011 02:25

Hello Prof :)

Just wanted to thank you for your last email and your kind words. Believe me, I feel very fortunate to have taken this course. I also want to thank you for your interest in us, which you showed in many ways. For example, I don't think many professors would be open to give extra sessions. In spite of having so many commitments, you gave us extra-sessions. Also, you shared with us your music, your experiences and your passion for architecture. You demonstrated genuine interest in us and I think that is priceless.

I am sure I will apply our course material when I resume working. I used to think I knew software architecture... But taking your couse has taken me to another level and I will definitely continue reading about software architecture to keep learning. You have a way of generating that "spark" of interest in students for research. I remember that in the first class you said "If you just came for the paper [title]... forget it" and that is so true...

Thank you very much for your words. Of couse you will always have a friend in me too and I wish you the best always. Have a great summer and try to rest more ;)

I think that what you say about "teach what you know" is quite true. I think that sharing experience or what we know can enable us to touch other people's lives and make a difference... I think that is what ultimately makes us transcend. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, energy and enthusiasm with us.

Ilse

rom

Ilse Leal Aulenbacher

15 April 2011 21:40

Hello guys :)
… I really had a great time with you all and I will really miss seeing you in the lectures... :)

Prof. I agree with Ekananta, I really enjoyed your class very much and I think I learnt a lot. I think that you transmit your passion for software architecture and research and that is really inspiring :) Thank you for your teachings and your enthusiasm. I also enjoyed your harmonica concerts very much :)!!

….
Sincerely
Ilse

Ekananta

cc

15 April 2011 11:09

RE: pic 1

Thank you Prof. Nazim,

This Architecture Class give me unique experiences.

You didn’t only teach us about architecture and all the perspective around it, but also tech us about human aspect which is very important in software development.

Hoping we can see you in the other time.

Warmest regards,

Ekananta

HuXiao Liang

madhavji

6 January 2011 10:49

RE: cs9551a -- overall grade

hotmail.com

hide details 10:49 (9 hours ago)

Thank you, Sir. It's my pleasure to be your student.

Happy New Year.

Xiao Liang, Hu

Arpit Jain

23 December 2010

ThankYou

Hello Prof. Nazim,

I would like to thank you for your help and guidance in this work. I really appreciate that you took out some precious time to review my work in such a busy schedule of yours. Your comments were as always worthy, and helped to present good work.

Arpit Jain

18 December 2010

Re: Project work

Dear Prof. Nazim,

Going through your email was a true moment of joy for me. I really thank you for giving me the pass grade. The biggest reward that came through your email was the appreciation and recognition you gave to my work. Under your guidance, be it a subject I took or the project, I did learn a lot of new things that will definitely help me going further in my career. The approach you take towards your subjects and guiding students is truly commendable.

I really want to thank you again. This is a big moment for me.

Wishing you Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Regards

Arpit Jain
Student of M.Sc (Computer Science)
University of Western Ontario

Nando Favaro

14 December 2010 06:47

subject

Re: Individual analysis spreadsheet after watching video not received yet

uwo.ca

hide details 06:47 (14 hours ago)

Nazim,
Thanks for the reply.
I figured you might be interested.
You are a very good prof.
Yes, I was able to view the video's.... See you at the class,
-Nando

Meng Li

14 December 2010 16:09

subject

Meng Li's enrichment work of requirement analysis

uwo.ca

hide details 16:09 (5 hours ago)

Dear professor Nazim Madhavji,

I am your student Meng Li of requirement analysis. I attached the softcopy of my enrichment work in this email.

Thank you veru much for teaching me in this term. I learnt a lot of useful knowledge from your course.

Have a great holiday!

Your sincerely,
   Meng Li

Nando Favaro

25 November 2010 21:56

Re: NAZIM --> cs4473 class --> I am *very* disappointed

hide details 25 Nov

Professor,
Your response is a fast one indeed.
.....

I do like your teaching/lecture style and the 'real-world' you bring to academia
and I thoroughly enjoy your class.
....
Thanks

-Nando

Mohanned Abbas

8 September 2010 17:33

Re: My apologies .....

uwo.ca

hide details 17:33 (20 hours ago)

Prof. Madhavji,

I realized you were on a hurry, I am doing well. This is my last semester, and I feel sad for not having any comp sci courses. I hope to pass by and see you, Oh I do have comp sci law, so I hope to catch you sometime. I thoroughly enjoyed your courses. Thank you for sending this lovely email.

cheers,

Mohanned Abbas

Arpit Jain

27 April 2010 20:20

Enrichment study

uwo.ca

hide details 20:20 (4 hours ago)

Hello Prof. Nazim,

Please find the attachment as my enrichment study.

....

Thank you for your guidance and support through out the term. You really made this course interesting by bringing new ideas which helped all the students finding themselves involved. And the activity session for 10 min., was one of those awesome ideas. :-)

Also, I want to do my masters project under you in this summer. Please let me know what do I need to do, or when can we discuss over it.

I really appreciate your efforts on your students.

Regards

Arpit Jain
Student of M.Sc (Computer Science)
University of Western Ontario

Sudheer Kumar Reddy Peddinenikalava

22 April 2010 15:51

Enrichment Study

uwo.ca

hide details 15:51 (7 hours ago)

Dear Prof.,

Thank you so much for your support. Its glad to work with you. I have learnt lot of things by taking your courses. I really motivated by your lectures,  not only technical even beyond that. Please find the attachment for the enrichment study. I did the (Security and Testability) from quality scenarios to architecture. If you have a chance please go through the slides and let me know your feed back. I am very happy to make changes based on your feedback.

Sudheer Peddinenikalava,

Brian John Baillargeon

madhavji

20 April 2010 02:55

Grady Booch's Handbook of Sofware Architecture

uwo.ca

hide details 02:55 (22 hours ago)

Hello Nazim,

I have looked through Grady Booch's website again. The website is here:

I think you'll have to register - which is free - in order to view this content:

If you want to see views of systems, these are under the gallery tab. After you've clicked on gallery, on the left hand side under View, you can click 'By name' or 'By source', and this will give you a multitude of systems to choose from. There seems to be only one diagram per system, and the diagrams don't seem to specify which type of view we are looking at, but they are views nonetheless. I must have missed this section when I looked at the website a few weeks ago. That or it's new content.

You'll notice there's another tab for Patterns too, and there's an abundance of information there.

I hope you find this useful.

Requirements Engineering and Software Architecture are great courses, and I think that it's a shame that students enrolled in a 3 year program don't get the chance to take them. You teach these courses well, and it's been a pleasure,
Brian Baillargeon

Shifta Ansari

22 December 2009 17:30

Re: cs9863a

uwo.ca

hide details 22 Dec (2 days ago)

Hello prof. MAdhavji,

thanks. i learned many things from your course. thanks for that.

best regards

shifta

Arpit Jain

24 December 2009 22:20

Enrichment Study

uwo.ca

hide details 22:20 (15 hours ago)

Hello Nazim,

Hope things are fine at your end.

I am attaching my enrichment study herewith. Please evaluate it.

Also, I want to thank you for your kind support through out the term. It was really nice to have a professor like you. I really learnt many things under your guidance.

Have a great holidays!!

Regards

Arpit Jain
Student of M.Sc (Computer Science)
University of Western Ontario

http://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gifAli Bou Nassif

http://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gifnazim madhavji

http://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif9 December 2009 12:58

http://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gifEnrichment Study

mailed-by

hide details 12:58 (21 hours ago)

Dear Dr. Madhavji,
First, I would like to thank you for this great course (Requirements Engineering). I learned a lot from this course and especially from attending the lectures because the information you provide in the lectures are invaluable. I attended 100% of your lectures because I found that more than 30% of what you teach in lectures is not in the textbook. I recommend all undergraduate and graduate students to take this course. The enrichment study that I conducted in this course was the basic for my Ph.D thesis.My supervisor liked it and it could be nucleus of my fist published paper. I will definitely take the Architecture course if I am allowed to take 2 500-level courses and my supervisor agrees.
Attached, please find a copy of my enrichment study.

Ali Bou Nassif

Wu,Sheila

To

6 May 2009 21:18

Thank you!

Hi Nazim,

How are you? I hope everything is great for you.

I was really enjoyed to take your class last term. I am working at IT industry for a long time (over twenty years). Most of my life is developing all kinds of custom applications in the company from the beginning (requirement analysis) to end (implementation). Some was really small one and some was really big one.

I really want to get more skills and more knowledge on the software engineer side. That’s why I selected your course in my first term. I am really glad I passed your course. This is encouraging me to continue studying until I finish all the courses. Thanks!

Best wishes,

Sheila

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 17:51:12 -0700
From: Zlatibor Djuric
Subject: Thank you note

Dear Prof. Madhavji,

I have just returned to UWO after my 16 month internship at RIM and I
would like to inform you that I have found your courses in software
requirements and architecture very practical and useful - maybe more
than any other courses I have taken at the Comp Sci Department. I have
utilized various strategies and techniques learned in those courses to
produce numerous design and requirements documents for RIM enterprise
applications that are currently in use and are of critical importance
for functioning of the organization.

Now I am back to complete my last undergrad year for next 8 months.
After that I might go back to RIM or maybe continue with my education as
a Software Eng. or Business grad student; I am still undecided but I am
sure that next school year will give me plenty of time to think about
all that.

I wish there were more professors like you at our department; its only
now that I realize of how fortunate and privileged I was that I have
taken your courses and have learned from you. All the best to you in
future and keep up the good work.

Regards,
Zlat Djuric

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 15:48:32 -0500
Subject: [cs473] Enrichment study from Lei and Si

Professor Nazim,
 I did not get a chance to talk to you before quiz today, and for the enrichment study, Lei and I found that …..  it is worth for me since I learnt alot of RE knowledge during the proposal study as well as during researches.
 And best wishes to your christmas holiday and thank you for the excellent teaching!
Si Shen

Date: 23-Dec-2006 02:06

Subject: Enrichment study –reg

Dear Dr. Nazim Madhavji,

Herewith I'm attaching my enrichment study report. Sorry for the delay as ….

Thank you very much for your understanding,

Hoping for the best.

We really had a very good experience in this course and we enjoyed learning it!

Thanking you Sir,

Yours obediently,

Tamilselvi

26/9/2005

Date: 24 Sep 2005 16:10:34 -0000
Subject
: Thank You!

Dear Prof. Madhavji,

Hello.

I am pleased to inform you that I got the job of a Software Usability Analyst at Research in Motion. They sent me an offer letter yesterday.

I am really thankful to you for your guidance and help.

Kind regards,
Parul.

Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 10:27 AM
Subject: Thanks.

Hey, you may remember me from the 473a course last year. I took that course with

a level of apprehension, and through the maze of projects I couldn't see the

forest for the tree. I do find the material applicable in my position as an

"Architectural and Standards Analyst" with the Provincial Government. The

reality of the industry seems to be slightly different then the course, however

it was an invaluable starting point.

Just thought I would let you know that a student actually entered a position in

your field. Thanks for the heads up.

Charles Eckert

13/5/2005

Hello sir,

I was a student at western, and graduated with the class of 2004. Im actually writing to tell you or thank you rather, for those brilliant courses you taught us.(471 and 473). i am working as a business analyst in an IT services company in Pakistan these days and i must tell you that your courses have helped me out enormously in my job. i have been actually learning a lot in the field of requirements engineering and have been able to provide valuable insights because of your courses. So just wanted to thank you for that.

Nadir Ahmed Shah

Business Analyst

Inov8 Limited

6/3/2005

Dear Prof Nazim,

The last time I saw you was in McGill just before you left to New Zealand. You taught me only software process engineering in the Fall of 1998 and you were an extraordinary teacher ... I still remember the things you taught me to the degree that I can teach now some of it.  My research area is algorithm and I was and still working with Luc Devroye

Best Regards,

Ebrahim

5/3/2005

Hi Nazim,

I’ve sent emails out to all the students who didn’t submit drill 1 or 2, to let them know that they can still do so.  There have been a couple of people who wrote back with different stories.  One only submitted a softcopy to XXX, so I didn’t get.  Another had gotten an extension and was still finishing it up, intending to submit tomorrow.  Anyway, it looks like sending those emails out was worth it to get that information.

One of the students also had some positive things to say about your teaching that I thought I’d forward to you.

>Also, Nazim is a great professor, and I was amazed how he puts what we actually learn over how we are able to adhere to deadlines. I have seen enough instructors who couldn't care less if you could make the dealine or not. This can do more damage to student's attitude towards the course, and sometimes the whole field, than anything else. Stuff happens without our control and not every instructor is supportive.

Hopefully that’ll make your Monday morning pass a little faster.

James

30/11/2004

Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 7:13 PM
To: bigideas@tvo.org
Subject: Nomination entry for "10 most inspiring univ/college teacher"

Dear Mr. Szemberg,

I would like to offer my enthusiastic support for the nomination of Prof. Nazim H. Madhavji of the Univ. of Western Ontario.

I have been a past student of Prof. Nazim and in my eight years in the industry, I have continued to collaborate with him on research issues. My relationship with him has evolved from him being my instructor (when I took courses under him), to him being my mentor and research guru (when I conducted graduate research under him), to him now being an intellectual friend insofar as our profession and areas of academic interest/research are concerned.

Prof. Madhavji excels in nurturing his initial academic relationships with his students and gradually transforming them into personal relationships. This unique ability enables him to build and grow a solid network of contacts across the world, in academia and industry. He is able to effectively leverage this network for conducting research in areas of mutual interest with a variety of people having rich and diverse professional experience. He thus makes an invaluable contribution to his profession by fostering collaborative work between those in the academic world and those in the industry.

I have observed firsthand that Prof. Madhavji consistently pushes the envelope and makes one think about what may not be readily obvious. This is an innate gift and skill for a researcher to excel in his field.

Prof. Madhavji is clearly among the few visionaries and innovators in the quality profession. For example, the concept of “process cycle” that he introduced around 1990 has been the precursor to the increased “process focus” in the quality profession since the mid 1990s. Arguably, some of his research has been way ahead of its time, which underscores why I regard him as one of the pioneers in his field.

Regards,

Vic Nanda

Sr. Software Quality Assurance Engineer

Ulticom Inc.

Mt. Laurel, NJ

30/11/2004

To:  Wodek Szemberg, Big Ideas

2180 Yonge St.

Toronto, Ontario

M4T 2T1

(TV Ontario)

Dear Mr. Wodek,

This is in response to your call for nominating Ontario’s 10 most inspiring post-secondary lecturers. I’m writing to nominate Professor Nazim H. Madhavji at the University of Western Ontario, Department of Computer Science, for this award.

I have known Prof. Madhavji for the past two years, since I came to Canada in Sep. 2002. I have been a student of Prof Madhavji in one graduate course – Software Evolution, a reading course – preparation for research, and I did my Master’s thesis under his supervision. I also have been the teaching assistant for four of his undergraduate courses. I’d like to express some of my feelings for Prof. Madhavji as follows.

He is always motivational. He would like to spend several lecture hours as a motivation phase for the students to a new course, to help them establish the motivations to learn something new, and to create something in the courses. In this sense, there is no wonder that we achieved a class average of 83.5% with a class size of 75+ in CS471 2004.

He is always encouraging discussing, debating and innovation. He has spent much more than “office hour” time every week with students in discussing issues and giving feedback. He also created a “Let’s talk shop” session in the department, held every two weeks to encourage undergraduate and graduate students to exchange their innovative ideas.

He is always willing to help. Every time the students have a question about the course, or an issue about the team project, or have some new ideas about research, Prof. Madhavji is always willing to sit down with you to clarify it, to solve it or to evaluate it. He likes face-to-face feedback, which I believe is much better and more effective than other manners, especially from students’ point of view. Students like to talk with Prof. Madhavji.

Definitely there are much more than what I have mentioned which I believe Prof. Madhavji is a great candidate for this award.

Best regards,

Yaqian Shen

Nortel Networks

30/11/2004

> Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 1:06 PM

> To: bigideas@tvo.org

> Subject: Canada's Best Professor

> This is a letter to nominate Professor Nazim H.Madhavji, University of Western

> Ontario for Ontario's best lecturer.

> Professor Madhavji's class is definitely not about getting a grade.

> Professor Madhavji has developed a unique teaching approach that emphasizes

> learning over grade achievement. As a result, students become passionate about

> learning both within and outside the university credited course. I enrolled in

> one of Nazim's undergraduate classes in Computer Science, later became one of

> his graduate students and currently work in the domain that I was introduced to

> by Nazim. Of particular mention, is the participation of many of his students in

> several small group sessions to discuss current research  articles, with Nazim

> and other fellow students, completely independent of university credit. In the

> classroom, through careful guidance and one-on-one support, Nazim directs

> students to seek out and learn vast amounts of information on their own,

> instead of simply memorizing what they're told.

> His approach to teaching is so unique that I've never seen anything like it or

seen anything as successful. Even so, Nazim, regularly asks students for one-on-one feedback on how his class can be improved.

Although some classes are large in size, Nazim develops a strong relationship with

many of his students, who become inspired by his passion for learning.

This is the core of Nazim's teaching philosophy, which has had a major

impact on the careers of many of his students.

> In closing I challenge you to schedule a short meeting with Nazim, where you can

> discuss his teaching approach in greater detail. I am  convinced that you will agree that Professor Nazim is one of Canada's best.

> Best regards,

> Kevin Strike, B.Sc., M.Sc, McGill University

> Motorola Inc.

29/7/2004

> Hey Nazim,

> just to keep you informed, I got the job at Teekay.

> It pays $XX.00 an hour which works out to be about

> $XXK per annum.  I am really excited right now.  I

> actually made reference to your class in my interview

> discussing the importance of documentation for traceability

> issues and they seemed pretty impressed.

> Thanks again

> Dean

20/5/2004

Subject: Job news
Importance: High

Hello Nazim!

I just wanted to share some excellent news with you!  I just received a job offer from Bell Canada which has blown my socks off.  And I’m pleased to say that my experience in Software Architecture and Requirements Engineering are two factors that contributed to me receiving this offer!  And since you are the source of my experience in both of these areas I thought you deserved a thank you!  So, thank you very much!

Also, you advertised earlier about having former students come and talk to your students next year.  I’d be willing to come in and do that if I can.  I’m moving to Toronto to take the job.  So I may not be able to do it.  But when the time comes, include me in the email, and I’ll see what I can do.  (steve@stevegoodall.net is the best way to reach me for the foreseeable future).

I may also be able to provide a “real world” point of view.  As a “Business/Systems Analyst” my first project is to revamp their billing system.  So I’m sure Requirements Engineering and Architecture are going to come into play in a major way!

Thanks again,

Steve

16/4/2004

I have to say that although this paper has been a pretty massive undertaking, I've really enjoyed doing it.  As I kept working I began to really start to enjoy the work.  I found it must more intrinsically rewarding to do this kind of work than the usual assignments and projects which are assigned.

James

15/4/2004

> However, only

> after I started working on the enrichment study, i realized

> the investigative nature of graduate-type work which showed

> me what research is truly about.  I am very glad experienced

> first hand the type of work i would be involved with in

> graduate school.  It is at this point when i realized that I

> would much rather enjoy working in the software development

> field where i would be able to explore the methods involved

> in process development as well as issues and conflicts that

> arise from it.  This gives me the opportunity to not only

> research technical issues but also people issues too.

> Cheers,

> Vlora

10/4/2004

Hey Nazim and Remo,

On behalf of Group 16, I would like to thank-you again

for all of your dedication to helping us this

semester.  I know I speak for the whole group when I

say that the two group projects were a great learning

tool, and your desire to motivate us was an

inspiration.

Thanks again

Dean Bruce

10/4/2004

You're very welcome!!!

Actually, I should be thanking you for giving me the opportunity to TA such an interesting and creative course.  Although it was difficult at times, we got through it and I really believe everyone has learned a lot from being involved.  For myself, I feel much more confident, not only with the content of software architecting, but of working with people, communicating, and thinking 'outside the box' after TA'ing not only this course, but 473 as well.  These skills and knowledge will aid me throughout my life in every area, and I thank you for helping to bring those out.

Looking forward to more interesting work in the summer,

Remo

7/4/2004

Dear Prof Madhavji,

Though the course is not over yet, I wanted to thank you for the diligent effort that you have put in to teach the course. However, I would not deny that I have cribbed the whole term about the course workload:)

Taking your course was a great experience.Your innovtaive techniques of delivering lectures will be something that will stay with me forever, especially if I go on to become an educationalist.

Thank you!

Warm Regards,

Parul.

26/3/2004:

I have appreciated your use of the Socratic method throughout 471 and 473; it has always kept me on my toes and provided the motivatation to prepare for your lectures well. Your enthusiasm is always infectious, even when the work load seemed a little overwhelming :)

So my thesis is done, I can finally sleep and I hope I have not damaged my reputation too much in the interim. Thank you for your time (again).

Richard

16/2/2004

Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 1:12 PM
To: 'Nazim H. Madhavji'
Subject: RE: cs471/549 -- REALLY IMPORTANT: Project Templates and project description

Nazim, you rock!

I’m glad I took this course with you and no other prof!

Luke

Just to let you know, I feel really guilty for missing almost last 2 weeks of classes, but my schedule with midterms and assignment was hell.

I’ll be back this week thoughJ. I’ve read chapters 4, 5 and 7 from the book and the book is great too.

One thing that I wish it did was to show the UML digrams of patterns they mention, such as factory patters etc., to solve specificc design issues.

Love this class and I think you’re the best person to learn it from. Good thing you’re our supervisor, it’s always good to learn from the master himselfJ. BTW, I’ve never seen a prof with so much passion as you!

Kind regards,

Luke

Nazim, huge thanks for taking your time to describe the books.

I really appreciate it. Wish we had more faculty members like yourself J.

Luke

What do I need to do to get a reference letter from you? J J J

I’m in your 471 class…

I can’t think of anyone better to get such a recommendation from.

J