Research Assistant Professor, Systems Design Engineering Department, University of Waterloo, May 1997 to June 1999:
Researched and gained experience in:
- Machine vision inspection, towards implementing a high level label inspection system (consulting assignment for VRP Web Technology Inc.). This experience included: Analyzing and processing label images, inspecting the quality of bar-code images, designing bar-code reading modules for various bar-code standards
- Image clustering, towards implementing an adaptive system for extracting information from image databases (consulting assignment for NCR Canada Limited). This experience included extracting wavelet-based features, applying various clustering techniques, and applying various classification techniques
- Reinforcement learning and decision fusion, towards implementing an adaptive amount recognition system based on incorporating results coming from multiple recognition engines; (consulting assignment for NCR Canada Limited); This experience included formulating the statistical model of the system, and applying various decision fusion techniques.
- Image processing and image understanding, towards implementing very high image compression techniques; (consulting assignment for NCR Canada Limited); This experience included developing optimization techniques for image compression, and algorithms Customizing JPEG compression scheme for financial document image.
Coordinated the PAMI lab computer systems:
- Administered and maintained computing equipment
- Planned and coordinated upgrades for the lab equipment and software
- Provided general support for staff and students on issues related to Unix and C/C++ programming
- Co-supervised a team of two students working on their fourth-year Project: Digital Image Security/Authentication for Financial Documents
- Supervised a first-year co-op student on the development of image processing demos/tools for PAMI lab
- Published several research papers