If for any reason the assignment schedules given below cannot be adhered to, the assignment marks will be pro-rated. The 3 assignments are worth 46% of the overall mark for the course. If an assignment has to be cancelled for any reason, the remaining assignment weights will be prorated to add up to 46%.If for any reason any of the short exams have to be cancelled, the remaining exams will be worth 54% of the final mark.
Every effort will be made to have assignments and exams marked and handed back within 3 weeks of the hand in date.
Assignment Schedule Tentative, some of these dates might change
Short Exam Schedule Tentative, some of these dates might change
There will be no makeup for short exams, except for
religious reasons, in which case students must have notified the course
instructor and filed documentation with their Dean's office
at least 2 weeks prior to the short exam.
If you miss a short exam for any other reason, and present valid documentation to the Dean's office, your other exams will be re-weighted to include the weight of the missed exam. You must notify the course instructor within a week of a missed short exam, and documentation must be received by your Dean's office within 2 weeks of the missed exam.
Academic Accommodation for Medical Illness
If you are unable to meet a course requirement due to illness or other serious circumstances, you must provide valid medical or other supporting documentation to your Dean's office as soon as possible and contact your instructor immediately. It is the student's responsibility to make alternative arrangements with their instructor once the accommodation has been approved and the instructor has been informed. In the event of a missed final exam, a "Recommendation of Special Examination" form must be obtained from the Dean's Office immediately. For further information please see this .A student requiring academic accommodation due to illness should use the Student Medical Certificate when visiting an off-campus medical facility or request a Record's Release Form (located in the Dean's Office) for visits to Student Health Services. The form can be found here
All assignments are individual assignments. You may discuss approaches to problems among yourselves; however, the actual details of the work (assignment coding, answers to concept questions, etc.) must be an individual effort. Assignments that are judged to be the result of academic dishonesty will, for the student's first offence, be given a mark of zero with an additional penalty equal to the weight of the assignment also being applied. You are responsible for reading and respecting the Computer Science Department's policy on Scholastic Offences and Rules of Ethical Conduct .The University of Western Ontario uses software for plagiarism checking. Students may be required to submit their written work and programs in electronic form for plagiarism checking. For computer-marked multiple-choice tests and/or exams, use may be made of software to check for unusual coincidences in answer patterns that may indicate cheating. Plagiarism: Students must write their essays and assignments in their own words. Whenever students take an idea, or a passage from another author, they must acknowledge their debt both by using quotation marks where appropriate and by proper referencing such as footnotes or citations. Plagiarism is a major academic offence (see Scholastic Offence Policy in the Western Academic Calendar).
Each student will be given an account on the Computer Science Department senior undergraduate computing facility, GAUL . In accepting the GAUL account, a student agrees to abide by the department's Rules of Ethical Conduct .
Note: After-hours access to certain Computer
Science lab rooms is by student card. If a student card is
lost, a replacement card will no longer open these
lab rooms, and the student must bring the new card to a
member of the Systems Group in Middlesex College Room