The Department of Computer Science at the University of Western Ontario, established in 1964, is internationally recognized for excellence in research and teaching.
Our faculty have research collaborations across the department, across the campus, nationally and internationally.
Our graduate students are vitally involved in the department; student representatives actively participate in departmental committees and meetings, and contribute to the decision making and shaping of the department's future.
Some facts about our Department:
- Our faculty and students actively interact with industry in numerous fields. They contribute to the state-of-the-art in software, cloud computing, mobile computing, search engines, social networks, games, bioinformatics, future cars, handwriting recognition, computer vision, medical imaging, computational linguistics and so much more.
- The Department of Computer Science had the third highest impact factor amongst Computer Science Departments in Canada from 2003-07 according to ScienceWatch.
- Western has one of the strongest computer algebra groups in the world Western researchers have provided some of the world’s fastest algorithms needed for bioinformatics.
- Innovative vision algorithms and systems which were created by Department of Computer Science researchers are being used in Google and Microsoft products, in software that tracks storms and in the first real-time image analysis system to be used for aiding older drivers.
- Western researchers are developing new approaches to interactions between mobile devices and cloud services
State of the Art Facilities at Western
- The 160,000 square-foot Western Recreation Centre provides:
- Five gyms
- An eight-lane, 50 metre pool
- Cardio space and weight room
- Five squash courts
- State of the Art Computational Facilities
- Sharcnet – High-Performance and Cloud Facilities
- Western Libraries provides access to millions of items in print, electronic, and other formats supporting the subject interests of all Western Faculties.