Western Computer Science offers you the opportunity to tailor your degree to your interests and to work with faculty who are involved in exciting research, all while attending one of the most beautiful campuses in Canada and enjoying Canada's best student experience. Other reasons you might consider doing your Computer Science degree at Western include:
- Undergraduate students can take advantage of the Industry Internship, spending 8 to 16 months working for an IT company between the third and fourth years of their degree. Internship placements often lead to full-time employment upon graduation, with companies like Microsoft and IBM.
- There are opportunities to meet with employers on campus.
- Employer Information Sessions: Many employers come to campus to present information sessions to students about their company and the work opportunities they have available.
- Computer Science Breakfast: An annual event allowing Computer Science students to network with industry partners while enjoying a delicious (free!) breakfast with their friends.
- Career Fairs: A career fair is an event where employers come to meet with prospective job seekers. They typically include company or organization booths. Job seekers are able to meet a large number of company representatives within a short amount of time. Western hosts several career fairs throughout the year.
- Industry Problem Solving Week: An annual event allowing teams of students to gain practical experience solving real-world problems, all while networking with industry partners.
Flexible Undergraduate Programs
Along with the typical Honors Specialization, Majors, and Minors in Computer Science, we also offer several concurrent degree programs that can be completed in 1 year less than taking each degree separately. Currently, the concurrent degrees we offer are:
- HBA from Ivey combined with a Computer Science Degree
- JD from Western Law school combined with a Computer Science Degree
- BESc from Western Engineering combined with a Computer Science Degree
- Bachelor of Music from the Don Wright Faculty of Music with a Computer Science Degree
- Nursing Degree from Western with a Computer Science Degree
Another one very popular programs is our Computer Science Honours Specialization with a Minor in Game Design. You could also combine two of your interests by pursuing a Major in Computer Science with a Minor in Psychology or Business. Or, of course, you can just get a pure degree in Computer Science. The choice is yours!
Computer Science faculty members are undertaking cutting-edge research in fields such as game design, DNA computing, Internet technologies, computer algebra, imaging, and computer vision. Computer Science and Engineering research papers written at Western are the third-most cited papers in Canada and second-most cited papers in Ontario.
We offer many undergraduate courses in these new and exciting areas of Computer Science. For more information, see Cutting Edge Research in Computer Science at Western.
Many of our Computer Science classes are small enough that your professors will soon know you by name. By second year, you will be working closely with your classmates and the professors on group and individual projects.
Most Beautiful Campus in Canada
While we may be biased here, we've heard from many students after visiting us and seeing Western's campus that they just had to come here! In fact, in 2004, Western won the Communities in Bloom competition in the Parks and Grounds category, even beating out Banff National Park. Western is consistently voted one of the most beautiful campuses in Canada.
State of the Art Facilities
- The 160,000 square-foot Western Recreation Centre provides:
- Five gyms
- An eight-lane, 50 metre pool
- Cardio space and weight room
- Five squash courts
- Western Libraries provides access to millions of items in print, electronic, and other formats supporting the subject interests of all Western Faculties.